Gallivanting~ California is Pretty, Too; Pacific Grove  

Posted by Heidi


When Mary and I got back from Ireland, (I DO still have a few blog posts to finish up the Ireland trip) we were a little blue.  We decided that the remedy for it was to plan another vacation.  So, we recently spent three days on the Monterey Peninsula.  We stayed at the Centrella Inn in Pacific Grove and had a fantastic time.


I have only been to Pacific Grove once, for my two year wedding anniversary.  We ate at the Bath House Restaurant at Lover's Point, one of the best meals I have ever eaten.  About ten years ago it became the Beach House Restaurant.  The food was still good but it was much more casual.  The above photo was taken from the sidewalk next to the restaurant.  (I highly recommend it.)





Mary thought this combination of signs (below) was worthy of documenting.



Mermaids come up more than once when you stroll the streets of Pacific Grove.  This gal was seated out in front of a store.  In fact, many of the stores had a mannequin of one kind or another out front to celebrate Halloween.


I was tickled by how they do Halloween in Pacific Grove.  Many decorated homes and store fronts.  Even the street dividers were decked out.



One prize-worthy house was decorated with such a spirit of fun that I had to get closer to take a photo.



Then I caught a glimpse of the gentleman in the window and I almost wet my pants. (Very creepy, especially since I am blind and didn't see him until he was almost upon me.)  (I digress . . .and exaggerate.)


I was deLIGHTed by all of the Victorians in the area.  In fact, there wasn't much of any other style in the heart of the city.  I was a very happy camper.











The Centrella Inn is converted from what was once a very large private home.  It is quite fabulous.  We stayed in one of the cottages in the back.  It was decorated pretty much to order for a lover of pink and roses.






This is the living area in the main house where one could sit by the fire and read. (I recommend.)


What I love about beach towns (and I am sure I am not alone in this) is how you can be simply walking down the street, turn your head and BAM!--there's the ocean.  Right. There.  Just. Right. THERE.  Fabulous!!!  (I recommend.)




Pacific Grove is full of stores along the lines of our defunct Dunhaven Place.  Much bigger and better stocked but they had the same vibe . . . (I recommend.)


If only I could figure out how this was done, I would do it, in a heartbeat.  I suspect it involves the use of tools that get very hot (in order to melt the pressed glass dishes into the sheet glass).  (I do not recommend.)




You never know what you will see when you wander about a Northern California coastal town.  It is the best of both beach and forest.  (And golf courses--of which these deer recommend.)


After dinner we drove along the coast to Asilomar Beach.    Truly fabulous.



My Mary getting a better view.  She took the photo of the star fish at the top of this post.  I think it is stellar.


Oh, look!  Here it is again.


Next time:  Carmel or Monterey or maybe Ireland again.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at Tuesday, October 21, 2014 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Post a Comment